Friday 25 August 2017

Mini Reviews

I'm still trying to catch up on reviews of all the books I've read over the past couple of weeks so here are 4 mini reviews for you guys. I'll also link my full Goodreads review so you can check that out if your interested in any of these.


Ready Player One by Ernest Cline 
Published June 5th 2012 by Broadway Books
Star Rating - ****
Goodreads Challenge - 51/50

What I liked: The fact that the premise was based on video games, the video game type quest, the world building and the characters Art3mis and Aech. 

What I didn't like: I didn't understand lots of the 80's references as I grew up in the 90's and I struggled to connect with Wade as a character. 

Full Goodreads review can be found here


The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
Published April 23rd 2013 by Harper 
Star Rating - ***.5
Goodreads Challenge 52/50

What I liked: The detailed and magical writing style, how all of the characters perspectives weaved together at the end, the description of the places and the themes of friendships. 

What I didn't like: Some of the side character perspectives and how the novel was quite slow paced with a character focus. 

Full Goodreads review can be found here.  

 
13 Minutes by Sarah Pinborough 
Published 18th February 2016 by Gollancz
Star Rating - ****.5
Goodreads Challenge - 53/50

What I liked: The completely gripping nature of this story, the unexpected twists and turns, the realistic depiction of teenage friendships and high school life and all of the characters and how their personalities fit so well with the story. 

What I didn't like: Not much as you can tell by the rating it just didn't quite sit in the 5* category for me.  

Full Goodreads review can be found here

 
The Dry by Jane Harper
Published June 1st 2017 by Abacus 
Star Rating - ****
Goodreads Challenge - 54/50

What I liked: The gripping story line, the fleshed out characters that were real and relatable, the depiction of a small rural town community, the immersive writing and there were some elements of surprise.

What I didn't like: It was a bit slow going in parts and I managed to work out some of the plot twists. 

Full Goodreads review can be found here.

Have you read any of these? What did you think? Lets discuss in the comments. 

5 comments:

  1. This is an ingenious method - very productive

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is kind of a brilliant idea. I'm behind on writing my reviews now too and may have to give this a try. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This all look really awesome and I LOVE the idea of mini reviews. I may just have to have you hop over and do a couple as a guest blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mini reviews but I can't ever stop talking about books to keep them mini :(

    Gayathri @ Musings Over Nothing

    ReplyDelete