Saturday 23 September 2017

More Mini Reviews

This weekend I'm hoping to catch up on some of my reviews so what better way to do that then to do some more mini reviews. A few of the books I've read over the past couple of weeks have also been continuations of series so by doing mini reviews I won't spoil anything for you. So without further ado here are 3 mini reviews of books I've read recently. 


 Arcadia by Iain Pears
Published June 2nd 2016 by Faber & Faber
Star Rating - ***
Goodreads Challenge - 55/50

What I liked: The world of Anterworld and the idea of the Storytellers, the way the plots weaved together and the focus on the writing. 

What I didn't like: The sciencey bits of the story were quite dense, the story was quite slow paced and I would of liked a little bit more to the plot. 

Full Goodreads review can be found here



Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitvh
Published 21st June 2012 by Gollancz
Star Rating - ***
Goodreads Challenge - 62/50 

What I liked: The interesting take on a usual detective story, the humor, Leslie's return and how capable she is and the exploration of the magical aspects of London with the story looking at the London Under Ground.  

What I didn't like: The conclusion of the murder mystery felt a bit rushed and lacking in explanation and I would of liked some more development in some of the magical plot lines. 

Full Goodreads review can be found here.


The Scarecrow Queen by Melinda Sailsbury
Published 2nd March 2017 by Scholastic Press
Star Rating - ****.5
Goodreads Challenge - 64/50 

What I liked: The pacing of the story, the relationship between Twylla and Merek and how it developed slowly I also liked how their relationship ended, Twylla's character development from book one too this one, how strong Errin is as a character, the ending was great although I did have an issue with this (see below). 

What I didn't like: The ending was too quick. I loved the ideas and the concepts and how things came about but I would of loved some more detail. 

Full Goodreads review can be found here

Have you read any of these? What did you think? Let me know. 


5 comments:

  1. The Scarecrow Queen sounds really interesting... will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your reviews! I love that you did mini reviews. I've been thinking of doing them too. It's a good way to put some books together in a post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG the cover for The Scarecrow Queen looks amazing! And it sounds interesting to boot. Love this idea. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mini reviews is a great way to get some done. I like this idea.

    ReplyDelete