Wednesday 25 October 2017

Halloween Reading Recommendations

So October is upon us and it's the month for all things spooky! I'm not a massive horror fan in fact, I'm a wimp when it comes to scary movies, but I do love a good thriller novel. So I thought I would come to you today with some of my favorite thrilling reads and some that are on my TBR ready for this spooky, Halloween season. 

Recommendations


 The Ultimate Sacrifice by S. E. Green
This is marketed as a YA horror however I thought it was more towards the thriller genre. Like I said I'm a bit of a wimp but I found this okay to read. It was very fast paced, sinister and creepy and if you like murders of the ritualistic nature then this one's for you. Check out my full review here.




Rattle by Fiona Cummins
The is a crime/detective story with an edge. The author includes some interesting topics in this book which made it stand out compared to other detective stories I've read. This one genuinely chilled me to the bone. Fans of shows like Criminal Minds will like this. Check out my full review here.  


The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel
This is another thriller mystery novel which is very dark and disturbing. It covers some quite heavy topics and could be quite triggering to some readers but I think it was extremely well done. I was totally gripped though out this one. Check out my full review here

17185496

The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly by Stephanie Oakes 
I've always loved a good thriller. I like the mystery and suspense that often comes from this genre and this is, in my opinion, one of the best I've read. I was completely hooked from beginning to end. I could not put it down and since reading I have wanted to read every book about cults and secret communities that there is! No review for this one as I read it before my blog but check out the Goodreads link here


The Lie Tree

 The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge
I'm not sure if this is YA or middle grade. I think it might be between the two but its definitely good whichever it is. It's about a tree that you have to feed lies and as a result you receive a fruit that bears a hidden truth. I wouldn't say this is scary but its definitely eerie and gripping. Again I read this one before I had a blog so here's the Goodreads link


9378297

 Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Now this is a YA horror and it did genuinely scare me a little bit. I saved this one for Halloween last year and I remember sitting at home, on my own reading this and feeling just a little bit creeped out. This is quite an interesting story about a ghost hunter who falls in love with a ghost he's meant to be hunting. Another pre-blog read so here's the Goodreads link

TBR

I've also got a few books on my TBR that I think will be great Halloween reads so I'm hoping to get to them this season. I obviously haven't read them yet so there's not much I can say about them so I'll just link back to their Goodreads pages. 





Bird Box by Josh Malerman (Goodreads Page)

You by Caroline Kepnes (Goodreads Page)

Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (Goodreads Page)

Asylum by Madeleine Roux (Goodreads Page)

Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge (Goodreads Page)

The Hanging Girl by Eileen Cook (Goodreads Page)

So there we have it, my recommendations for this spooky season and some of the books on my TBR I'd love to get too sometime very soon. Have you read any of these? Let me know your thoughts?

12 comments:

  1. Great recommendations! It's definitely the perfect time of the year to read a thriller or horror. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reccomendations are always brilliant so these are none the less!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOoooh these look spooky and amazing! I'm totally adding them to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look scary but The Roanoke Girls and Anna Dressed in blood looks promising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recommendations there. I've just written my list up ready for posting on the blog tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great recommendations, I will have to look into these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna Dressed in Red looks like one I would like to read. I really like that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read and was enthralled by the Roanoke Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think this list is good for me. I spook easily but do still love a good horror read despite that....Guess I'll be keeping the dog close by when I read these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good thriller! I want to read, like, all of your list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have heard so many things about the Roanoke Girls. I really should give in to the universe and read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading recs based on the season. Halloween should be my fave I guess, seeing at the number of horror books I have been reading.

    Gayathri @ Musings Over Nothing

    ReplyDelete