Thursday 4 January 2018

Read More Diversely

So one of my main reading goals for 2018 is to try and read more diversely. Near the end of 2017 I discovered the Diversity Bingo 2017 challenge and I thought this sounded like a great idea. After doing some research on Twitter and around the Booktube community I've decided to have a go at this challenge myself this year. As of now there isn't a new Diversity Bingo board for 2018 so I will be using the 2017 one which is fine by me because the challenges are great. So in this post I will be listing the books I will definitely be reading as I already own them and the ones I hope to read. Anything in italics or blank is not yet finalized as I don't own these books yet so if you have any recommendations for these spaces then I would love to hear about them. So without further ado here is the bingo board I will be using for this challenge and the books I'm hoping to read for each prompt. 


Romance with a trans main character: 
If I was your girl by Merradith Russo

Non-binary main character (own voices):
Masquerade by Laura Lam (I don't think this is own voices non-binary rep but it is own voices bi rep)

SFF with a disabled main character:
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Practising Jewish main character:  
Simon vs the Homosapiens Agenda by Becky Albertali  

Indian main character (own voices):
Love, Hate and other Filters by Samira Ahmed


Displaced main character:
The Library of Fates by Aditi Khorana

Main character with an under-represented body type:
Holding up the Universe by Jenifer Niven 

Neuro-Diverse main character (own voices)
On the Edge of Gone by Corinne Duyvis

Retelling with a main character belonging to LGBTQIA+
The Seafarers Kiss by Julie Ember

Bisexual main character (own voices):
Ash by Malinda Lo

Main character with an invisible disability:
Before I Let Go by Marieke Nijkamp

Main Character with an anaphylactic allergy:
Tidal Zone by Sarah Moss

Main character of colour in SFF
An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Latinx main character (own voices):
Labyrinth Lost by Zoria Cordovia 

Free Choice:
Warcross by Marie Lu

Non-Western (real world) setting:    
Homegoing by Yaa Gasi
Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorofor

Own Voices:
The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

Main character with chronic pain:
Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth
Far From You by Tess Sharpe

West Asian Setting: 
The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

Arab main character (own voices):


Main character with a wheelchair: 
The Christmasaurus by Tom Fletcher 

Book by an author of colour: 
Boy Snow Bird by Helen Oyeyemi

Biracial main character (own voices):
Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

Pansexual main character (own voices):
Seven Ways We Lie by Riley Redgate 

Black main character (own voices)
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

Main character on the ace spectrum (own voices)
Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

LQBTQIA+ main character of colour:
They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera 

Visually impaired main character: 
Blind Spot by Laura Ellen

Book Set in Central America: 
The Jumbies by Tracy Baptiste

Contemporary World Arranged Marriage: 
Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed

Indigenous main character (own voices):
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Diverse non-fiction:
In Order to Live by Yonomi Park 

Person of colour on the cover: 
Dear Martin by Nic Stone

D/deaf/hard of hearing main character: 
Magnus Chase and The Ship of the Dead by Rick Riorden 

Immigrant or refugee main character: 
Salt to the Seas by Ruta Sepetys 

Hijabi main character (own voices): 
Saints and Misfits by S K Ali

So these are all of the prompts I'm hoping to complete this year in order to complete my challenge to read more diversely. Any recommendations you have to meet any of these prompts would be highly appreciated. 

What reading challenges are you hoping to complete this year? I'd love to hear about them. 

    

         
                      


  

10 comments:

  1. I love a good Book Bingo! I'll be saving this for later. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen anything like this before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this! I've been wanting to read more diversely this year, as well, so I might have to give this Diversity Bingo a go. Also adding a bunch of these titles to my TBR list! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you can basically play Bing with any topic! Love this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Good luck getting BINGO, or even better, a blackouts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! Adding some of these to my tbr! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How neat! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a good challenge. I don't tend to get that many diverse books requested for review. At the moment I only have time for those on my TBR list and they are all author requests and there are a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete