Friday 31 August 2018

Review - Ascension by Victor Dixen


Ascension by Victor Dixen 
Published 28th June 2018 by Hot Key Books
Star Rating - ****
Goodreads Challenge - 22/75

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

'This thrilling space odyssey will keep you turning pages late into the night.'
C. J. Daugherty, author of NIGHT SCHOOL

Six girls, six boys. Each in the two separate bays of a single spaceship. They have six minutes each week to seduce and to make their choices, under the unblinking eye of the on-board cameras. They are the contenders in the Genesis programme, the world's craziest speed-dating show ever, aimed at creating the first human colony on Mars.

Leonor, an 18 year old orphan, is one of the chosen ones. 
She has signed up for glory.
She has signed up for love.
She has signed up for a one-way ticket.
Even if the dream turns to a nightmare, it is too late for regrets.

My Thoughts

I'm not a massive fan of romance books and when I initially saw this one advertised with the tagline 'Love Island in space' I wasn't that intrigued. However, after seeing lots of positive reviews all over Twitter I though why not give it a go and I'm so glad I did. This goes to show how good it is to sometimes read outside of your comfort zone. 

To me the romance wasn't the big thing in this book, although there is lots of romance aspects, but more the development of the relationships. The isolated setting of the spaceship added an extra layer to all of the relationships for me. It was interesting to see how both the girls and boys coped with the stress of constant observation and each other in such as small space. I think this novel highlighted the importance of privacy and our need for personal space. I was also pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the speed dating sessions but again I think I enjoyed the development of the relationships more so than the romance. The other thing I quite enjoyed about this book was the way the plot developed. There were often times when I was kept wondering what was going to happen next and the air of mystery at times throughout the story kept me wanting to know more. The whole story felt like it built in suspense and the way the book ended definitely had me wanting more!

As I said before I enjoyed the development of the relationships between the characters and, as well as these relationships, I enjoyed the diversity and development of the characters themselves. There were lots of distinctive personalities and I think the author did a great job of exploring these and keeping them separate from one another. Each character had their own background story, often laced with secrets, and it was fascinating to see each of these develop in their own way. I feel there is a lot still left to discover about many of these characters too and that makes me excited to continue in the series. 

Overall I was really pleasantly surprised by this one. I made a conscious decision to step outside of my comfort zone when I requested a copy of this book and it has definitely made me want to do that more often. I loved the exploration of the characters and their relationships and that ending has really made me want more of the story. I cannot wait to dive into the next in the series.

Overall Rating 



1 comment: