Friday 3 August 2018

Review - The Con Artist by Fred Van Lente


The Con Artist by Fred Van Lente
Published 10th July 2018 by Quirk Books
Star Rating - ***.5
Goodreads Challenge - 17/75

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

This illustrated mystery will appeal to comic book fans and anyone who appreciates an unconventional whodunit.

Comic book artist Mike Mason arrives at San Diego Comic-Con, seeking sanctuary with other fans and creators—and maybe to reunite with his ex—but when his rival is found murdered, he becomes the prime suspect. To clear his name, Mike will have to navigate every corner of the con, from zombie obstacle courses and cosplay flash mobs to intrusive fans and obsessive collectors, in the process unraveling a dark secret behind one of the industry’s most legendary creators.

My Thoughts

I received this book in the post unexpectedly from the publisher and after reading the synopsis I was intrigued enough to pick it up and I'm glad I did. I quite enjoyed the reading experience. It was a super fun, quick and easy read that kept me entertained until the end. 

This was your usual murder mystery story made much more interesting due to the fact it was based at a Comic Con. If your a fan of the 'geek' culture in anyway I'm sure you will enjoy this story. I'm not a massive comic fan, although I do enjoy superhero movies and popular fandoms such as Harry Potter and GoT, but even then I still enjoyed this one. I'm sure there were lots of Easter eggs and references that I didn't get but that didn't put me off. They must of blended in well with the storyline and I'm sure if you were familiar with them they would only enhance your reading experience. 

The main character was really down to earth and actually quite relatable. He came across as a genuine guy that seemed to have got caught up in a bad situation. There was something really likable about the main character and the other characters were fun too. Not massively flashed out but definitely fun none the less. 

This book also includes original art work scattered throughout and this was a really nice touch. It was interesting to see if the pictures you formed in your head were the same as the authors interpretation and it was another fun element that definitely added to the story. 

Overall I enjoyed this one. It was fun and fast paced with some interesting elements that really added to the story. This isn't a full on thriller full of twists and turns and you may be able to work out the murder before the end, although I didn't, but it is an interesting story with just enough air of mystery to keep you reading until the end.

Overall Rating (3.5*)


No comments:

Post a Comment