Saturday 9 February 2019

Review - Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

30318306

Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Published 20th October 2016 by Rock the Boat
Star Rating - ****.5
Goodreads Challenge - 4/50

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Hanna Donnelly is the station captain’s pampered daughter and Nik Malikov is the reluctant member of a notorious crime family. Together they struggle with the realities of life aboard the galaxy’s most boring space station, blissfully unaware that Kady Grant and the Hypatia are headed right toward Heimdall with news of the Kerenza invasion.

Picking up about five minutes after Illuminae ends, Gemina is the electrifying sequel to the hottest YA novel of 2015.

My Thoughts
I loved this one nearly as much as Illuminae, although Illuminae will always hold a special place in my heart. This one picked up right from where Illuminae left off and I mean that literally, the events that happen in Gemina happen, pretty much straight after the events from Illuminae although Gemina has a different main setting and follows different characters. 

I was a little bit wary of jumping into a different setting with different characters as I loved Illuminae so much but I wasn't disappointed. Hannah, Niklas and Ella were a great cast of protagonists and worked so well together. I loved their interactions and dialogue, it was full of witty banter that was so fun to read. At the beginning of the novel Hannah came off as a spoilt rich kid and I'm glad this wasn't the way her character went. There was so much more to her and she turned out to be such a bad ass. Niklas was fantastic too, he acted like a bad boy but there was more to him too, he was super fun and genuinely cared about Hannah and his cousin Ella. The villains in this book were great too. As much as I love AIDIN in the last book, having villains as real people was a nice change. They were ruthless and focused on nothing but their end goal. 

The story itself was thrilling and fast paced although, I have knocked off half a star as the main storyline of this one was very similar to Illuminae in regards to two characters running around trying to save the ship from the bad guys. However, I loved Illuminae so much that I didn't really mind this. The story really turned on its head in the last quarter though and was full of twists and turns. There were times at this point in the book when you began questioning motives and you didn't know who to trust. It really was a wild ride! 

This book was also laid out in the same way as the last one, though the use of IMs, reports and transcripts. I love the way these books are written. It's such as interesting format and it really helps to make the story a quick and fast paced read. 

Overall, as you can probably tell I loved this one, just like I did the first. The ending of this book was fantastic and I'm glad I already own the last one as I know I need to get to it right away. 

Overall Rating (4.5*)


7 comments:

  1. Terrific! I hope you enjoy the next book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much. I am in love with the covers of this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are enjoying this series

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hanna surprised and impressed me so much in this book, but I think Ella was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep hearing about this series! Glad you’re enjoyinf it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I've not read the series but it does look good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one series I have been dying to start :) I think I have the first one on my Kindle. Great review!

    ReplyDelete