Friday 22 February 2019

Review - Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3)

Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Published 13th March 2018 by Rock the Boat
Star Rating - *****
Goodreads Challenge - 9/50

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Kady, Ezra, Hanna, and Nik narrowly escaped with their lives from the attacks on Heimdall station and now find themselves crammed with 2,000 refugees on the container ship, Mao. With the jump station destroyed and their resources scarce, the only option is to return to Kerenza—but who knows what they'll find seven months after the invasion?

Meanwhile, Kady's cousin, Asha, survived the initial BeiTech assault and has joined Kerenza's ragtag underground resistance. When Rhys—an old flame from Asha's past—reappears on Kerenza, the two find themselves on opposite sides of the conflict.

With time running out, a final battle will be waged on land and in space, heroes will fall, and hearts will be broken.
 

My Thoughts
So this series has definitely made it up there as one of my favourites. I loved this final instalment just as much as the other two books. It was fast paced and action packed with lots of shock moments and twists and turns, definitely a roller coaster of a ride.

In this one we follow both groups from the previous two books as well as a new group of characters based on Kerenza. Asha and Rhys are the focus of this new group of characters and, although I really liked them, I didn't feel their story line was as well developed as the others. I think this was because the other characters had whole books whereas Asha and Rhys didn't really as we were also following the rest of the group on their mission. That being said I do really like all of the characters in these books, especially the younger ones. I like how much they care for their future and they didn't give up even when things got tough and people didn't believe in them. I also think AIDAN is one of the best characters ever! He was so well developed and you were constantly questioning his motives. He was very morally grey and I loved it.

This book is formatted in the same was as the previous two and, as I've said in previous reviews, this makes for a very quick and fast paced read. I also think this format works really well for the story as a whole and fits well with the plot. Although this was a quick read, I did find this one was a bit slower in the beginning compared to the others. We were following Asha and Rhys mainly in the beginning and this meant there wasn't too much action however, this quickly changed as we got further into the book. The latter half of the book was full of twists and turns and things you didn't see coming. It was full of 'OMG' moments and I felt like my heart had been ripped out several times and then pieced back together. I enjoyed the conclusion too and I thought all three character arcs and story lines wrapped up really well together.

Overall, as you can probably tell, I loved this book and this series as a whole. It was a fantastic fast paced, roller coaster ride and I would definitely recommend picking it up. Please don't let the size of the books or the format put you off because I can guarantee your going to love it!

Overall Rating


8 comments:

  1. I am more than glad you loved it <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. Glad you enjoyed this and the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive when a series maintains its quality through 3 books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this series and haven't picked them up yet, but their covers always draw me to them. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a creepy series that I need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my all-time favorite series. I want to reread Gemina again because I inhaled it the first time lol Great review.

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I've not read any of the series but it would seem I need to.

    ReplyDelete