Monday 13 May 2019

Out of My Comfort Zone Book Tag


When I was looking for fun book tags to take part in over on Twitter Stephen over at Stephen Writes pointed me in the direction of this one, you can see his answers here

I liked the idea of this tag which is that you have to pick one genre that you read regularly and you are NOT allowed to use any books from that genre to answer the questions, hence out of your comfort zone. 

I read a lot of fantasy, I would say that's my favourite genre so, I am going to try my hardest to answer these questions without using any fantasy books. Here we go. 


A book that is an exception when it comes to genres or elements you don't particularly like.

33294200

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo 
I do not read poetry, I just don't get it. However, I loved this book which is written in verse. Elizabeth Acevedo is a slam poet and this book is written in that style and I gave it 5 stars. 

A book you enjoyed from a genre that you previously held some stigma about.

36275385

Love, Hate & Other Filters by Samira Ahmed
I do not like romance, adult or YA, I do not like reading it, it does not hold my attention. However, I received a copy of this book from review and I actually quite enjoyed it. I think it's because it covers not just a romance but a few heavier topics too. 

A book you didn't know was out of your comfort zone until you started reading it.

41576526

All the Lonely People by David Owen
When I picked this up I thought it was a science fiction, which I enjoy. However, it was more of a contemporary story with a speculative element and I don't tend to pick up contemporary. I did actually really enjoy this one too, I thought it was a really important read. 

Pick a friend who motivates you to pick up books you might not normally be interested in. Is there a book they convinced you to give a try?

The only people I know in real life who read are my mum and dad. My dad tends to read historical thrillers and crime novels which I tend to enjoy anyway and my mum will generally give anything a go. It was actually because of my mum that I picked up novels by Phillipa Gregory and realised I actually quite enjoy historical fiction. 

A book that is out of your comfort zone but you would like to read.

35216509

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera 
I don't have many contemporary romances on my TBR, as I've said before I don't read romance. However, I actually own a physical copy of this one that I picked up second hand and I've heard nothing but great things. I'm keen to give it a try. 

A book/genre so outside of your comfort zone that you'll probably never give a chance.

I have a few of these, I don't think I'll ever pick up erotica, paranormal romance or auto biographical work but never say never. 

This was a really fun tag to do and, it actually wasn't that hard to think of answers out of my comfort zone. It actually reminded me to read these types of books more because I usually enjoy them. 

I'd love to read your answers if you decide to do this tag. 


11 comments:

  1. I would like to read They Both Die in the End

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun tag! I have never seen that book cover for Love, Hate and Other Filters!

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great tag! It made me think of what books are out of my own comfort zone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers, Gemma! I would love to read The Poet X, it seems so different to the other books I usually read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really wimpy, so anything scary or dark is out of my comfort zone

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a fun book tag! I'm not that much into romance, either. The plot has to really hook me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tag! I hadn't seen this one before, might just have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a fun tag Gemma. I’m hoping to join more book tags when I find the extra time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice tag. The older I've gotten the less of a romance fan I am. I still have my favourite authors who do them really well but I find I'm more a thriller person these days. That's not to say I don't like other genres though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of these. I will have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete