Wednesday 29 May 2019

Top 5 Wednesday - Books Featuring Mental Health


Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme where you discuss your 'top 5' in a variety of different topics on, guess what, a Wednesday. Full list of topics and more information can be found here on the Goodreads group.

This weeks topic is books featuring mental health in honour of May being Mental Health Awareness Month. This was quite a hard topic for me as most books featuring mental health fall into the contemporary genre and this is not really a genre I read. That being said after a bit of a think I came up with 5, all of which are on my TBR. 

The Astonishing Colour of After by Emily X R Pan

37758969

I've heard nothing but great things about this book. Everyone seems to love it. Mental health rep - MC working through grief

Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow

29236380

This one has been on my TBR for ages, I really need to get to it soon. 
Mental health rep - MC dealing with self harm

The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

22910900

Another one that's been on my TBR for far too long. I've heard mixed things about this one but I'm still intrigued by the premise. 
Mental health rep - OCD

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)

I really enjoyed the Shadow and Bone trilogy when I read it and I've been meaning to carry on in this universe for a while. I've heard the rep in this one is really good too. 
Mental health rep - PTSD

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

35504431

This is a more recent addition to my TBR. I've never really been drawn to read John Green before as I don't like contemporary romance but the mystery element in premise of this one intrigues me.
Mental health rep - OCD (which I think might be Own Voices)

Obviously as I haven't read any of these I can't say how good the rep is in them, if you know please let me know, but I hope to get to them soon. 

If you have any great recommendations for books with good mental health rep please let me know. I'd love to add them to my ever growing TBR!



9 comments:

  1. Great choices Gemma! Six of Crows is definitely unique in that it frames thematic content about PTSD around a larger fantasy story. Really interesting choice on the part of the author but it makes some of her characters really come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job--The Rest of Us Just Live here is a fascinating title. I'll look it over. Turtles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not read any of them. I actually only recognise a few too. They do sounds like great choices though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't read these - thanx for the info

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turtles all the way down! Ah! I'm so glad you've picked these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turtles All the Way Down appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete