Monday 17 June 2019

Mini Reviews

39093394

Price Guide to the Occult by Leslye Walton
Published 6th September 2018 by Walker Books
Star Rating - **.5
Goodreads Challenge - 24/50

What I Liked - I was really intrigued by the premise and I enjoyed Savvy's character. It was a quick read and I managed to finish it in a couple of days. I wanted to know what was going to happen in the end. 

What I Didn't Like - The story felt rushed and we jumped around quite a bit from one time or place to another. Lot's of aspects about the story, especially about Nor and her magic, were lacking in explanation. The characters had lot's of potential but weren't very well developed in my opinion. 

Full Goodreads Review

5985499

Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones
Published 5th March 2009 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published 1986)
Star Rating - ***
Goodreads Challenge - 25/50


What I Liked - The fairytale feel of the story and the imaginative writing style. The fun characters and their great relationship full of humorous dialogue. 

What I Didn't Like - Nothing particularly stood out to me. It was a good story but just that, good. Not one I will revisit and I don't think I'm going to pick up the sequels. 

Full Goodreads Review

36126988

Magnus Chase and The Ship of the Dead
Published 3rd October 2017 by Puffin
Star Rating - ****
Goodreads Challenge - 27/50


What I Liked - The Norse mythology, the characters and their interactions with both each other and the reader, the diversity of the characters and the humour. 

What I Didn't Like - Some of the plot felt a little be convenient with the characters sometimes being handed solutions to their problems on a plate. Maybe if this series was longer with more time for problem solving it would of been a bit better. 


10 comments:

  1. hoping the next books you read are more enjoyable, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry these books weren't as good as you were hoping. Hopefully the next ones will be all 5 star reads. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read Price Guide to the Occult and I actually enjoyed it but I like weird books and the book was certainly weird. Great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of the mini-reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Price Guide to the Occult. I'd heard good things about that book before. Hopefully your next reads are more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to read the Magnus Chase books for years. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a switch up in genre may improve your luck, it does mine.

    ReplyDelete