Friday 18 October 2019

Review - Invisible in a Bright Light by Sally Gardner

46904842. sx318

Invisible in a Bright Light by Sally Gardner
Published 17th October by Head of Zeus
Star Rating - ***
Goodreads Challenge - 54/50

I was gifted a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a review. 

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
From I, Coriander to Invisible in a Bright Light, Sally Gardner's first middle grade novel in 14 years soars with the imagination of a master story-teller. A pitch-perfect story about a crystal chandelier that splinters into a thousand pieces, a girl abandoned as a baby on the steps of an opera house and a dangerous game called the Reckoning.

It is 1870: opening night at the Royal Opera House in a freezing city by the sea, where a huge, crystal chandelier in the shape of a galleon sparkles magically with the light of 750 candles.

Celeste, a theatre rat, wakes up in a costume basket from what she hopes is a bad dream, to find that everyone at the theatre where she works thinks she is someone else.

When the chandelier falls, she is haunted by a strange girl who claims to know Celeste's past and why she must risk playing a game called the Reckoning to try to save the people she loves.

My Thoughts
When I received this in the post I read the synopsis and was instantly excited to read it. I loved the sound of the plot and I do enjoy a magical middle grade story which I hoped this was. Unfortunately I think this was a little bit of the wrong book at the wrong time for me. I picked this one up right after finishing Godsgrave as I thought I wanted something completely different but I was still in a bit of a book hangover when I read this one.

By no means was this a bad book. The plot was interesting, although I did find myself a little bit lost at the beginning, and had some fun magical elements to it. The writing was great too. It had a really whimsical and childlike feel to it which I think fit really well with the story.

The characters were fun too, our main character was strong and knew her own mind. The 'villain' character was interesting and just the right amount of mean for a middle grade book. There were also some great themes of friendship and supporting others running throughout this book.

Overall, as I said, it wasn't a bad book however, I did find myself struggling at times but I think that's due to the fact that I was in a little bit of a book hangover. I can really see this being enjoyed by many children and adults alike.

Overall Rating


7 comments:

  1. That is an interesting cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. And I definitely know what you mean when you mention book hangover

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, this book looks and sounds absolutely amazing and right up my alley. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, I thought it was a good book just a little bit hard to follow at times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i saw this recently and thought about adding it to my tbr; will wait for my own bookish hangover to subside before i pick it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. The books cover catches the eye.

    ReplyDelete