Thursday 9 November 2017

Review - Cress by Marissa Meyer

18716399

Cress by Marissa Meyer 
Published 6th February 2014 by Puffin Books
Star Rating - ****
Goodreads Challenge - 73/50

Because this is the third book in the series I cannot guarantee that it doesn't contain spoilers.

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

In this third book in Marissa Meyer's bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she's being forced to work for Queen Levana, and she's just received orders to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is splintered. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a higher price than she'd ever expected. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai, especially the cyborg mechanic. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.

My Thoughts

I'm so glad I continued with this series! A few months ago I read and really enjoyed Cinder so I purchased Scarlet thinking this might be one my new favorite series however, after reading Scarlet I was a little bit disappointed. I decided to persevere with The Lunar Chronicles as I have seen so many people rave about it and I'm very pleased I did. I loved Cress! It completely turned the series around for me and I'm super excited to get stuck into Fairest and Winter. As with Scarlet, I'm not going to go too much into the plot as this is the third in a series, but we continue to follow Cinder and Scarlet on their journey with the introduction of the character of Cress. Each of the books in the Lunar Chronicles is a retelling of a popular fairytale and this is no different, taking some of its inspiration from the story of Rapunzel. Now I felt this one had less of a focus on the fairytale as some of the others but that maybe because I'm not overly familiar with Rapunzel other then Disney's Tangled. You got the girl with very long hair trapped somewhere high she cannot escape from and that's about it. This isn't a criticism however, as to me it didn't affect the story at all. 

One of my main criticisms of Scarlet was that I didn't really feel like anything happened apart from lot's of travelling. There was also a massive focus on Scarlet and we didn't really see much of Cinder however, that was definitely rectified in this book. I loved the structure of this book, we got a good amount from each characters perspective and this along with a good slice of action kept the story moving for me. The pacing was great, switching between perspectives meant the travelling aspects of the story didn't get too boring, and there was a good amount of action scenes that kept me wanting more. I had to know what was going to happen next. 

I really enjoyed Cress as a character. I loved her naivety, I found it really endearing and she has quickly become my new favorite character. I loved her development as a character and she really grew in confidence as we neared the end of the book. Scarlet and Wolf also kind of redeemed themselves as characters in this book. It was nice to see Scarlet have to think for herself and she seemed less reliant on other people, she also worked well as part of the team which was nice. Again it was nice to see Wolf working with the others as well. I also really did feel for Wolf as the story progressed (you'll know what I mean if you've read it). If there's one thing I think Marissa Meyer writes well it's emotions and you could really feel Wolf's desperation. Queen Levana was just as evil as ever and I'm really excited learn more about her now that I'm at the point in the series where I can read Fairest. 

Overall this book definitely redeemed the series for me. I loved Cress and I can't wait to see more of her in the future books. I can't wait to dive into Fairest and I'm excited to learn more about Princess Winter. 


Overall Rating


9 comments:

  1. I have seen this series around everywhere. Everyone else as well loved the series. I may have to check them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what made me pick them up! I think my expectations may have been a bit too high as, although I really enjoyed Cinder, I don't think I loved it as much as I was expecting too. That being said this one was great. I've just finished Fairest which was an interesting read and I'm really excited to dive into Winter.

      Delete
  2. This series has had me hooked since book one. I plan on starting this book next week, I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed it, and I hope that I enjoy it also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this series everywhere, but I've been hesitant to start it. I may have to give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like Scarlet suffered from Bridge Book Syndrome. But I'm so glad you enjoyed Cress! I keep hearing about this series, and I hear good things, but there's just something keeping me from picking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read Cinder but I loved it! Time to get cracking on the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book has been in my tbr list for ages haha, I have to read this series soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read the first two books of the series, and now I am supposed to start reading 'Cress', but I felt like I should take a break from this series before reading the third book. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete