Sunday 3 June 2018

Review - Velocity by Chris Wooding

25771739

Velocity by Chris Wooding
Published 2nd July 2015 by Scholastic Press
Star Rating - ***
Goodreads Challenge - 6/75

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Cassica and Shiara have grown up in an outback settlement far from anywhere. Life's hard where they live, but these two girls have a dream. They want to take on the Widowmaker: an off-road rally through some of the most dangerous places of Earth. It's their ticket to fame and fortune. But it just might be the death of them...

Review

So this was the book I chose to get me back into reading after not even picking up a book for three months and this did exactly what I wanted it to do. I wanted something easy to read with a fast paced plot that wasn't too hard to follow or full of detail and that was just what this was. 

I enjoyed the fast paced nature of this book. I read it really quickly and it kept me wanting to turn the page. I was hooked from beginning to end and there wasn't any point in which I found the story beginning to drag or where I found myself loosing focus. As I said before this was an easy story to follow and it wasn't bogged down with detail which is what I wanted from this book however, I do feel it would of benefited from some more world building. We were thrust into this dystopian, seemingly post-apocalyptic, world in the aftermath of a robot war and that's as much information as we got. I would of liked to know a bit more, what started the war, how it ended and some more detail in how the society was divided. That being said it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story. 

On the other hand I really enjoyed the characters and how they broke the gender stereotypical norms. The stories main focus is on this suicidal car race (think the film Death Race) and the competitors of this race and, this sort of thing is often seen as a very male heavy topic. However, our two main characters were female which I think was great, especially as someone who has an interest in cars and racing. They did experience some gender stereotypes within the story but nothing that they couldn't overcome and I particularly enjoyed their growth as characters throughout the book. 

Overall this book did exactly what I wanted it to do and that was to provide me with a fast paced story to get me back on my reading game. It offered me the escape I needed to realise why I love reading and hopefully this has now brought me out of the slump I've been in. Don't go into this book looking for literacy brilliance but if your looking for a fast paced, fun escape then I would recommend this one. 

Overall Rating 


No comments:

Post a Comment