Saturday 17 November 2018

Mini Reviews Spooky Book Edition

Here are some more mini reviews of some books I've read recently. 

18498558

Bird Box by Josh Malerman
Published 13th May 2014 by Ecco
Star Rating ****
Goodreads Challenge 29/50

What I liked: The fast paced and engaging writing style, there was an interesting cast of characters with great group dynamics, there were lots of twists and turns and there were times when this novel genuinely scared me, the duel storyline was interesting and worked well with the story. 

What I didn't like: There wasn't much I didn't like. Maybe the unexplained aspects of the story could of been expanded upon in the end but that unknown added to the atmosphere of the story so this wasn't necessarily a bad thing. 


Frankenstein in Baghdad

Frankenstein in Baghdad
Published 1st February 2018 by Oneworld
Star Rating - ***
Goodreads Challenge - 30/50

What I liked: The use of the Frankenstein's Monster trope did a good job at portraying the horrors and uncertainty of war, the translator did a good job translating this novel from Arabic into English, I liked that this was told through different perspectives and a couple of my favourites included the junk dealer and the journalist. 

What I didn't like: There were some perspectives and parts within the novel that I didn't get on with so well and this sometimes halted the story for me, I wish I had read the original Frankenstein story before reading this one. 

24874303

The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe (Penguin Little Black Classic)
Little Black Classic edition published 26th February 2015 by Penguin Classics
Star Rating - ***
Goodreads Challenge - 31/50

I managed to finish two stories out of this collection of three. 

The Tell-Tale Heart
This was the story I was most keen to read and was the reason I picked up this little book in the first place as I've many people talk about it and it is an iconic horror story. It definitely lives up to it's reputation, although it is very short it still provides the perfect amount of creepy and the macabre with a very unreliable narrator. Poe did a great job and creating an unnerving, atmospheric story in very few words. 

The Fall of the House of Usher
This was the one I couldn't finish. The writing was just too poetic for me, I couldn't get on with it. 

The Cask of Amontillado
This story was another one that was very creepy and actually quite evil. Although it was only a short one it definitely packed some punches and it really did demonstrate just how good Poe was a storytelling. 

What spooky books did you read over Halloween? Any you would recommend?


11 comments:

  1. Amazing post , i need to do some mini reviews ive got so much to catch up on, i never read any halloweeny books though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy doing reviews like this it means I can keep up with the books I read and also means I can review everything I read even if I haven't always got a lot to say.

      Delete
  2. I love this idea - I remember reading The Tell-Tale Heart as a kid

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Frankenstein so I would probably really like Frankenstein in Baghdad. Thanks for sharing info on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Mini-review", its an amazing idea!. I loved the post too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reviews. The books look really good.

    ReplyDelete