Friday 11 January 2019

Book to Movie Adaptation Review - Bird Box

Image result for bird box book

Bird Box released on Netflix on 21st December 2018

Film Synopsis
When a mysterious force decimates the population, only one thing is certain -- if you see it, you die. The survivors must now avoid coming face to face with an entity that takes the form of their worst fears. Searching for hope and a new beginning, a woman and her children embark on a dangerous journey through the woods and down a river to find the one place that may offer sanctuary. To make it, they'll have to cover their eyes from the evil that chases them -- and complete the trip blindfolded.

My Thoughts
Everyone was going crazy, and still are, for the film adaptation of Bird Box, originally a novel by Josh Malerman, and I needed to see what all the fuss was about. I read the book back in October and I really enjoyed it, you can see my review here, so I was excited to check this out. I know a lot of people generally have a love/hate relationship with adaptations but I usually don't mind them and this was no exception. I really enjoyed the movie too. 

Having only read the book a couple of months ago everything was still pretty fresh so I was quite familiar with what was going to happen but that didn't affect my enjoyment of the film. Plot wise it stuck quite close to the book, a few things were missing or a bit rushed but that was okay. These parts did not detract from the overall story. The story was just as creepy as the novel version but I wasn't scared as such. Like the book there was also a lot of unexplained plot points and aspects to the story but, like I said in my book review, this was okay as it added to the overall atmosphere of the story.

I think Sandra Bullock did a fantastic job at portraying our main character. Just like the writer brought the characters to life in the book she really brought her character to life in the film. She did a great job at portraying terror, desperation and all manor of other emotions that you would expect to feel in this post apocalyptic story. She really brought the story to life and you felt like you were making the journey right alongside her. 

Overall I really enjoyed the movie just as much as I enjoyed the book. I would always recommend reading the book first but, if you can't get your hands on it but are keen to watch the film then carry on. I think you'll enjoy it just as much. 

Overall rating for both the book and the film





10 comments:

  1. When I firs came across Birdbox the movie I didn't know that it was a book.. I still haven't watched it but I am hyped on reading the book..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie was not my cup of tea. I did really enjoy it but for loving thriller READS I have a hard time with the anxiety in movie format. However, I apparently added the book version to my TBR a long time ago and didn't even remember it was a book when I watched it! I am excited to read the book. Have you seen the Netflix show You? That's also based on a book off my TBR - I binged it all this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't watched You yet but the book is also on my TBR so I'd like to get to it soon so I can watch the show.

      Delete
  3. I keep hearing about this - anxious to see what you think

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen the movie or read the book. Will need to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thoughts on the book and movie. I really need to read or watch this one soon!

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wondering about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when I read a book before the adaptation and just smugly sit and watch everything unfold on screen! I have yet to see or read this one though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard lots about it (and the stupid stunts that people are doing) but I've not watched it, nor read the book. My son watched it and said it was boring but then he's a big horror fan so I don't think it was 'horror' enough for him. Might catch up with the movie at some point.

    ReplyDelete