Wednesday 16 January 2019

Top 5 Wednesday - Most Disappointing Reads of 2018

Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme where you discuss your 'top 5' in a variety of different topics on, guess what, a Wednesday. Full list of topics and more information can be found here on the Goodreads group.

This weeks topic is my most disappointing reads of 2018. As with last weeks topic, please don't be offended if I mention one of your favourite books. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean it's a bad book, just that it wasn't for me. 

Swamplandia! by Karen Russell

13602843

This is based off of one of Karen Russells short stories, which I had previously read and quite enjoyed. However, this one wasn't for me, it started to drag and felt unfinished. I gave it 2 stars. 

Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter

28220892

The retelling aspect was the reason I picked this one up and there were parts of it, like the writing, that I thought were great. However, the story was just way to strange for me. I gave this one 2.5 stars.

Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero 

38099846

This was probably my most disappointed read of 2018. I was really looking forward to this one as it's based off of the Scooby Doo TV show, which I loved as a kid but it really didn't click with me. I enjoyed the plot and the story line but I really couldn't get on board with the authors writing style. I gave this one 2.5 stars.

The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F.C. Lee

30116958

The Chinese/Asian mythology and the diverse aspects of this story were good however, overall there was just something about it that didn't fit with me. I also struggled to engage with the humour that the author used throughout. I gave this one 3 stars. 

The Shadow Year by Hannah Richell

18480926

This was a fairly random read for me as I fancied picking up an adult novel as I'd read a lot of YA recently and although I finished it, it was only an average read for me. The characters were quite flat and their was a few problematic elements, especially in relationships. I gave this one 3 stars. 

Have you read any of these? I'd love to hear about what you thought of them. 




11 comments:

  1. I heard good things about The Epic Crush of Genie Lo but haven't actually read it myself. I am not familiar with the other four books. It's okay if you didn't like books that others like. :)

    Jennilyn @ Rurouni Jenni Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like sometimes you CAN judge a book by its cover ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Scooby Doo as a kid! I haven't read any of these, but I have heard of Vassa in the Night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meddling Kids is on my TBR, but I’ll avoid those others. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of those but it's so sad when books just don't live up to what we hope they will. Here's to a better year of reads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I havent heard of any of these

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post I am sorry these books really didn't work out for you, I have Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter on my tbr pile. I still want to check it out and see how I feel about it thank you so much for sharing your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all new to me books. I may have to look into them further.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great article! The top 5 Wednesday is always such a joy to read. So sorry to see you didn't like these books. I'm not familiar with them. Thanks for sharing.

    Melissa
    http://melissasfandomworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Swamplandia! back in college and really enjoyed it, though I can see how it's not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete