Saturday 13 April 2019

Review - Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

30969076

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
Published 25th July 2016 by Harper Voyager
Star Rating - *****
Goodreads Challenge - 16/50

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Destined to destroy empires Mia Covere is only ten years old when she is given her first lesson in death. 

Six years later, the child raised in the shadows takes her first steps towards keeping the promise she made on the day that she lost everything. 

But the chance to strike against such powerful enemies will be fleeting, so if she is to have her revenge, Mia must become a weapon without equal. She must prove herself against the deadliest of friends and enemies, and survive the tutelage of murderers, liars and demons at the heart of a murder cult. 

The Red Church is no Hogwarts, but Mia is no ordinary student. The shadows loves her. And they drink her fear.

My Thoughts
This was the March pick for the Lost Between the Covers book club and one that I have been wanting to pick up for a while after reading and loving Jay Kristoff's Iluminae series. I've also really been in the mood to get stuck into some more adult fantasy so this was the perfect opportunity. 

I absolutely adored this book. I thought it was fantastic, the writing, the characters and the plot were all so detailed and well written I was completely hooked. Because I had heard from others who have read this that it can be quite dense and complicated I planned to read it slowly and space it out over the month but I couldn't do it. I just found myself completely immersed in this story. The writing can be quite dense and I can see why people may have found the beginning a bit confusing but I didn't. I enjoyed the way it was written, where we follow Mia both when she was younger and in the present day. The world building was great. I found the world to be really complex and I know there is still so much more left to discover in the next books. 

I loved all of the characters too but I particularly loved Mia, she was fierce, determined and independent but she still showed us that she was able to care about and be loyal to others, even though this shouldn't of been in her nature. I think she was such a complex character and she really came into herself and showed us just what she was capable off in the last quarter of this book. I liked that there wasn't really a romance in the book too as romance isn't my favourite thing to read about but Jay Kristoff was still able to demonstrate chemistry between Mia and Tric. Also, Jay Kristoff is harsh! He's not afraid and all I'm going to say is people will die! 

Overall I thought this was a fantastic book. I loved every dark, gritty moment of this story and I cannot wait to continue with this series.

Overall Rating



8 comments:

  1. Sounds intense - glad you liked it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. I have seen so many positive reviews for Jay Kristoff's works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this on my TBR list. I just haven't gotten around to it yet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dark and Gritty sound exciting, I will have to try the book at some point. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you enjoyed this one. I’ll have to add it to my list. I’ve only heard good things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh that cover and then your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cover...this book seems amazing. Into my tbr pile it goes. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have wanted to read this one forever! I bought a hardcover the day it came out and it's been sitting on my shelf for the longest time. Great review!

    ReplyDelete