Wednesday 1 May 2019

April Wrap Up O.W.Ls Edition

This month I took part in the O.W.Ls Magical Readathon and I think that gave me a bit of a push with my reading. I said in my TBR that I wasn't going to choose a career to begin with and was going to work towards all 12 O.W.Ls. At the end of the month I managed to complete 9 out of the 12 books I chose and I have decided that I am going to become a Magizoologist. 

Here are the books I read this month and the O.W.Ls prompts they achieved. 


39093394

The Price Guide to the Occult by Leslye Walton
Published 6th September 2018 by Walker Books
Star Rating - **.5
Goodreads Challenge - 24/50
O.W.Ls Prompt: Herbology - Plant on the cover

26958226

Even the Darkest Stars by Heather Fawcett
Published 5th September 2017 by HarperCollins/Balzer + Bray
Star Rating - ***
Goodreads Challenge - 23/50
O.W.Ls Prompt: Astronomy - The word 'star' in the title
Review - Blog Review

5985499

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
Published 5th March 2009 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published 1986)
Star Rating - ***
Goodreads Challenge - 25/50
O.W.Ls Prompt: History of Magic - A book over 10 years old
Review - Goodreads Review

James Clyde and the Tomb of Salvation (James Clyde, #2)

James Clyde and the Tomb of Salvation by Colm McElwain
Independently Published 1st November 2018
Star Rating - ***.5
Goodreads Challenge - 18/50
O.W.Ls Prompt: Potions - Next ingredient, sequel 
 Review - Blog Review

30215662

Final Girls by Riley Sager
Published 11th July 2017 by Ebury Press
Star Rating - ****
Goodreads Challenge - 26/50
O.W.Ls Prompt: Transfiguration - A red cover or sprayed edges (I have the ARC copy which has pink sprayed edges)
Review - Blog Review

One Word Kill (Impossible Times, #1)

One Word Kill by Mark Lawrence
Published 1st May 2019 by 47North
Star Rating - ****
Goodreads Challenge - 19/50
O.W.Ls Prompt: Charms - read an adult book
Review - Blog Review

44765130

Poppy Haviland and the Secret of the Lively Widow by Michael Barra and Annabel Lively Barra
Published 28th March 2019 by Matador
Star Rating - ****
Goodreads Challenge - 20/50
O.W.Ls Prompt: Arithmancy - A book written by more than one author
Review - Blog Review

40265510

The Anomaly by Michael Rutger
Published 14th June 2018 by Zaffre
Star Rating - ****
Goodreads Challenge - 22/25
O.W.Ls Prompt: Muggle Studies - A contemporary 
Review - Blog Review

43442435

Music and Malice in Hurricane Town by Alex Bell
Published 4th April 2019 by Stripes Publishing
Star Rating - *****
Goodreads Challenge - 21/50
O.W.Ls Prompt: Care of Magical Creatures - Land animal on the cover
Review - Blog Review 

Overall I had a fantastic reading month, my best one of the year so far in fact. I think the O.W.Ls Magical Readathon really helped with this along with April's reading challenge that I took part in over on TBR and Beyond's Facebook group (check them out, it's great!)

I'm not planning on taking part in any readathons in May so I won't be posting a TBR but I do have some exciting plans including my book club pick The Priory of the Orange Tree (eek wish me luck) and the Middle Grade May challenge happening on TBR and Beyond so I hope for another great month. 

How many books did you read in April? Are there any you would recommend? I'd love to hear about them. 


12 comments:

  1. Great post 9 books is great i managed to read 9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I been wanting to read Final girls for a bit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Final Girls has been buried in my TBR for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One Word Kill looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like an interesting month to me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually enjoyed The Price Guide to the Occult by Leslye Walton, although I like weird books. You had a great month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a great month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had such a great month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still need to read Final Girls. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go!I'm glad you had such a good reading month! Best 9f luck with Priory of the Orange Tree I still haven't picked up that behemoth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I also really enjoyed Final Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really great job! Aw Howl's Moving Castle! I have been meaning to do a reread for that for ages. I really need to get to Final Girls this year! I enjoyed his other book alot.

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete