Friday 9 November 2018

Mini Reviews

Here I thought I'd share with you some mini reviews of books I've read recently that I don't feel like necessarily need a whole post of there own. 



Ash by Melinda Lo
Published 4th March 2010 by Hodder Children's
Star Rating - ***
Goodreads Challenge - 21/75

What I liked: The Cinderella retelling aspect, the inclusion of the fae as a take on The Fairy Godmother and the LGBTQIA+ relationship. 

What I didn't like: The predictable nature of the plot and the lack of development among the characters and their relationships.

Full Goodreads review can be found here

25107416

The Arsonist by Stephanie Oakes
Published 22nd August 2017 by Dial Books
Star Rating - ***
Goodreads Challenge - 24/50

What I liked: It's a duel perspective novel, there was an interesting mystery plot that kept me wanting to read, the stories from the different timelines came together well. 

What I didn't like: There wasn't anything really specific I can put my finger on that I can say I didn't like, it was just an okay story. Maybe it could of benefited from being a bit shorted but that's just me being picky. I think because I loved her first novel so much, it's one of my favourite books, that I had high hopes for this one and it just didn't quite reach the mark. 


18480926

The Shadow Year by Hannah Richell
Published 26th September 2013
Star Rating - ***
Goodreads Challenge - 26/50

What I liked: The duel timeline narrative, Lila's character and storyline in particular, the author did a great job at portraying emotions again, especially Lila's. 

What I didn't like: The characters from the 1980's storyline, they were flat and a bit annoying, there were some quite problematic elements within the 1980's storyline too particularly with Simon's character he was manipulating and controlling. 

Full Goodreads review can be found here.

5 comments:

  1. Haven't read any of these - thanx for the info - just a cool idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of them. They do all look interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these ones. I like the bite-size reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for these mini reviews! Haven't heard of or read any of them until now so it's always a good thing to come across new to me books :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great mini reviews, I haven't read any of these books yet but the do looks and sounds quite intriguing though. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete