Friday 15 March 2019

Review - All the Lonely People by David Owen

41576526

All the Lonely People by David Owen
Published 10th January 2019 by Atom
Star Rating - ****
Goodreads Challenge - 12/50

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Everyone tells Kat that her online personality - confident, funny, opinionated - isn't her true self. Kat knows otherwise. The internet is her only way to cope with a bad day, chat with friends who get all her references, make someone laugh. But when she becomes the target of an alt-right trolling campaign, she feels she has no option but to Escape, Delete, Disappear.

All the Lonely People is a timely story about online culture that explores the experience of loneliness in a connected world, and the power of kindness and empathy over hatred.

My Thoughts
I don't think I've ever read a book that made me feel so angry after reading the first chapter. This book covers some very important topics, cyber bulling/trolling and alt-right online communities, in an interesting and emotive way. I definitely wouldn't describe it as a happy book but in a good way, let me expand a bit more on this. 

I would describe this book as a contemporary, realistic story with a speculative twist. In this story we see people literally fade from existence as a result of their feelings of insignificance, want to hide themselves and become someone else. I think this was a really impactful way to explore these feelings as that often is what people in these situations want to do. This was a very relevant story and the topics covered need to be discussed with all our young people as nearly everyone has an online presence nowadays and people can be so easily influenced in this way. As well as cyber bulling/trolling and online communities this book also looks at peer pressure, family and friend dynamics and it includes a f/f romance so overall a very well rounded and important book. 

As I said before this isn't a happy book. Although the ending is positive the journey to get there is full of uncertainty and questionable thoughts, feelings and actions. The writing is very melancholy and this fits really well with the tone of the book. We follow 2 POVs throughout this story and I think they were both written well and were both relevant in their own way. The author did a great job at evoking feelings of anger, sadness, longing and loneliness throughout this story and, like I said before, I has some very strong feelings after only reading the first chapter. 

I enjoyed reading from both characters POVs. Through Kat we explore the effects of cyber bulling and trolling and the impact that has on her life. Kat feels like online is the only place she is safe and when that gets taken away she struggles to be herself and feels like she doesn't belong. Throughout the book we follow Kat as she learns to love herself for who she is and to embrace her personality. Through Wesley we follow the effects of a broken family dynamic and peer pressure from his friends who have gotten involved with an alt-right online community. Although I didn't agree with what Wesley had done in any way you do begin to feel sorry for him as you begin to understand his thoughts and feelings and his desire to make things right. The one thing I did appreciate was that Kat couldn't and didn't forgive him for his actions. He nearly ruined her life and for that there was no going back, she understood why he did it and appreciated his help but that doesn't always make things right. 

The reason why I didn't give this one 5 stars was the romance. It was a f/f romance and that I appreciated however, it felt a little bit forced to me. The way I describe it is the 'love conquers all' trope and I don't like the idea that love and romance will 'fix' everything and make it better. I think in this circumstance a development of friendship, understanding and support would of been a better scenario. 

Overall, as you can see, I really enjoyed this story. I think it was a very important and relevant read, one that I could definitely relate to and I think a lot of other people will to. Whilst reading I have decided to start picking out some quotes that really speak to me or fit well with the story and I'll share the ones I found with you below. 

Quotes

"'Loneliness could make you reach out for company in all the wrong places, or make it seem an impossability, even if an outlet was staring you in the face. There was comfort in being alone, unable to disappoint or be disappointed by others. Tell yourself enough, and it's not hard to believe that's the best you're ever likely to get from the world'"

"'Some people hurt because of the things that that happened to them. I hurt because of the things that didn't.'"


Overall Rating 


7 comments:

  1. Very good review. I don’t know if I could go on after feeling angry at the outset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done - those quotes hit home

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds painful and probably worth it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like this is one that would be a little too intense and dark for me. Great review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting and controversial. it talks about thinks people don't want to acknowledge anymore. Ill give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely review. The book certainly sounds different and poignant.

    ReplyDelete